The Doyle-Acher House was built in 1911 in the Arts and
Crafts/ Craftsman Style at a cost estimated to be $2,300.
It is a unique example of the style because of the bay window
on the west side, the north elevation porch with hipped roof,
the exposed rafter roof ends, and an exterior chimney.
Additions to the house were:
an addition to the east side; stone columns to the
in about 2000; and a two story addition off S. Thrash Street in
2002. As stated in the 2001 Survey for Granbury, none of
these changes have taken away from the high priority status as
an important historic property. The floor plans were
first published in 1909 in the Ladies Home Journal and
were touted as "Home Plans of the Future."
The land was first acquired and taxes paid in 1904. Sometime in 1911 or 1912, a significant
increase in taxes (from $100 to $700) clearly indicated that
the house was built. In 1912 William Earle (known as
Earle) Doyle and/or his wife, Nell, paid taxes until 1917.
William Earle was the son of James Hogan Doyle who was one of
the early prominent figures in Granbury and and one of the
founders of the First National Bank.
Another prominent figure in early Granbury, J. (Joel) Archer
purchased the house in 1918. The Archer family was
involved in education and business and some members of the
family were merchants on the Square. They occupied the
home until 1972.
The home is now known as Granbury Gardens Bed & Breakfast
which first opened as a B&B on July 4, 2006. The second
owners purchased the property on June 9, 2009 and the current
owners on December 3, 2014.
The residence possesses significance in history, architecture,
archeology, and culture. William Earle Doyle was in
business early in Granbury's history, built a home and invested
in Granbury financially, socially and esthetically. In
the 1978 Hood County History, the Doyle and Archer families are
listed as builders of Granbury and were associated with the
lives of persons who significantly added to Granbury's history.
On April 2, 2013, The Granbury City Council approved the
designation "Historic Landmark #30."